Diner’s Club Assistant
If you like a good meal and a great time, then this is the position for you! Twice a month, agencies offer seniors and adults with physical disabilities the opportunity to have lunch together and catch up with friends.
- greeting clients,
- collecting fees,
- registering all clients,
- assisting with seating,
- socializing & assisting with client needs, and
- assisting servers and Luncheon Coordinator as required.
TIME COMMITMENT: Twice a month from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Various locations.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Assist clients with walking if needed. Good social skills. Ability to handle money. Enjoy working with people. Someone can work well autonomously and run this program.
Friendly Visitor Volunteer
Do you like to make a difference in the life of an individual? Friendly Visitors make weekly visits to the homes of the elderly and adults with physical disabilities, each time visiting the same people.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- An understanding and respect of confidentiality.
- Reliable and able to make a commitment to the program – and the individuals you visit.
TIME COMMITMENT: Once a week as arranged for a period of 1-2 hours. During a weekday and between the hours of 8:30 – 4:30.
LOCATION: Home of a client or on approved outings.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Good listener, reliability, patience, kindness and respect of confidentiality.
Grocery Bus Attendant
Grocery bus attendants provide more than transportation and escort services to enable seniors and adults with physical disabilities to purchase their groceries on a regular basis. They also encourage conversation and camaraderie among the passengers, Transportation is provided periodically to a pre-determined local grocery store in a pre-arranged bus pick-up and drop-off.
- To ensure passengers are safely seated
- To encourage conversation and camaraderie among the seniors and adults with physical disabilities.
- To assist passengers with their grocery shopping.
- To escort clients to their door.
- To assist passengers if they become uncomfortable or ill while on the bus.
- To be physically able and willing to assist seniors and adults with physical disabilities with shopping.
- To demonstrate sensitivity towards the needs of seniors and adults with physical disabilities.
- To accept the importance of the social aspects of the outing for clients; therefore, to be able to encourage conversation and camaraderie among the passengers.
Approximately 3 hours (or more) per Grocery Bus trip, which occur periodically each month, plus occasional orientation/training sessions.
Meals-on-Wheels Volunteer Driver
Volunteers deliver hot, nutritionally balanced meals prepared at local nursing homes to those who, for a variety of reasons, cannot prepare adequate meals.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have own vehicle, be a competent driver, able to climb stairs and some lifting is involved, valid driver’s licence, willing to submit to a criminal records check, carry liability insurance
LOCATION: Pick-up meals and deliver to clients’ homes.
TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 2 hours (11:00 a.m. – 1:00 pm) once or twice per month.
Do you have a car and are willing to help seniors and adults with physical disabilities in your area? Drivers are always needed to drive and escort clients to and from appointments. This position would interest people who like to work with the elderly as well as adults with physical disabilities and may interest new comers to the community. There will be reimbursement for mileage covered.
Must have own vehicle, be a competent driver, ability to assist clients in and out of the vehicle as needed , valid driver’s licence, willing to submit to a criminal records check, carry liability insurance.
LOCATION: In the community.
TIME COMMITMENT: As required. During open office hours, Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.